Friday, August 3, 2012

Friday Findings August 3, 2012

Hey friends! Wow. I almost forgot about Friday Findings! It's been a heckuva week with moving and other fun adventures. I will start REAL blogging soon! As soon as my computer gets fixed anyway. (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!) I have lots to tell you and I can't wait to share!
In the meantime here is my Friday Finding:
No, it's not a YouTube video today. Yay? Boo? Do you guys like those things anyway? Today's Friday's Finding is a book: What I Didn't Say by Keary Taylor.
I initially checked out Keary's website (http://www.kearytaylor.com/) a while back on the recommendation from a friend and I was so intrigued by her stories. Then she announced that she'd written ANOTHER book (What I Didn't Say). I'd wanted to read it as soon as I read the synopsis for it. It comes in two versions: an ebook or you can get an actual physical copy.
I coveted this for a while and when Keary offered a sweepstakes to win a signed copy of her book I jumped at the chance and promptly forgot all about it...until she emailed me to tell me I WON! It was a wonderful surprise and I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. We emailed back and forth a couple of times and turns out we went to Jr. High together and even ran into each other at this year's Life, The Universe, and Everything Conference and didn't even realize it! Sigh. My one brush with fame. :) Anyway, when the book came I sat right down and read it all in one night.
What I Didn't Say is a wonderful contemporary YA novel that explores the life of a small town where everyone knows everything about everyone. Jake's Homecoming night accident changes his life forever. He struggles in learning to live with his new set of circumstances, regrets all the things he didn't say, and eventually finds that losing your voice isn't the worst thing that can happen to a person.
I don't want to really give away anything important but just know that Keary balances the book's emotions wonderfully with highs and lows and I loved the subplots running through the novel as well. I was pleasantly surprised at the depth that this book provided and found myself laughing out loud as well as tearing up in a few places. (I also later had to apologize for shouting at my mother for interrupting me at the middle of the book climax. I was pretty wrapped up in it.)
So, in closing I would definitely recommend this book. It's definitely for a little older YA crowd but check it out!
Oh wait...remember how I said no more YouTube videos...well, I lied. Not exactly lied per say, but changed my mind twenty seconds ago and am including the book trailer from Keary's website. Enjoy!
Em

No comments:

Post a Comment