Thursday, December 30, 2010

Creativity...

Soooo....totally snowed in today. Not a joke. I waded through the snow this morning to get to our age-ed van, NOT looking forward to the roads and to my surprise all of the doors are frozen shut. I pulled and pulled and pulled. I even got out a knife and tried to pry open the doors. (Yes, I do realize in retrospect that using a knife on a slippery surface was not the smartest of ideas.) However, nothing worked. I looked at the road filled with snow, checked the traffic report about all the slide-offs and semi-truck accidents on the freeway and texted my boss. And That is why I am sitting at home instead of at work. Which is WHY I am writing a blog post. See, I keep promising myself that I'll write one over the weekend, but weekends are for friends and laundry. After sitting and staring at a computer screen for 8 hours at work I find that I don't really WANT to get back on the computer when I get home. Go figure eh?
Basically the snowpocalypse has begun. Time to curl up with a Snuggie and a good book...or movie. As for me I'm sticking in Jodhaa Akbar. (The link is to the trailer.) It is one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen. The cinematography is outstanding and there are no special effects. When you see hundreds of people running towards each other there really are hundreds of people there. The budget must have been gigantic. It is a very visually captivating film. (The beautiful men don't hurt it either.)
I am constantly amazed at what people can create whether it's beautiful movies, or artwork or crafts. Check out some of the artists at Deviantart.com or Etsy.com. I love what Deiter F. Uchtdorf tells us in this message about our ability to create. (This message was given at a gathering for women, but I believe it applies to men as well.) There are few things more satisfying then standing back and admiring a craft or being proud of a killer paper you wrote for school. And yes, some people are blessed with crazy amazing talents like David Hirschfelder (the composer for the score of Australia. Seriously, go check out Stampede). But I don't think we're here to compare ourselves to other's accomplishments. We can use other's accomplishments as motivation I suppose. I can look at great piece of artwork and be inspired to learn how to do that myself. I think we're here to uplift and inspire others to be the best they can be. Let's face it. Life is tough. I was talking to someone yesterday and asked how they were doing. They responded with, "Am I living? Then I have problems, just like everyone else." It's so true. Some struggle with emotional issues, others with physical issues, but I know it's all for a reason. Our creativity is one way we can deal with our trials. Have you ever created something you were really proud of?

No comments:

Post a Comment